Monday, December 7, 2015

Stick to the Task - December 7, 2015

 
What's up everyone?  Week 2 down in Conrad, awesome week. 

- ate dinner with the Weisgram family. She has lived here for about 70 years so we got a pretty sweet run down on the history of Conrad. Made me feel lucky to be serving here. We talked about when the interstate was put in and once again thought of Cars haha. Also had some bomb tacos, almost as good as Jared and I's taco nights in the bunker. 

 - went to Valier to do some work. A 30 minute drive outta Conrad, even smaller town. This one has a single yellow light in town and I swear every third blink is slower.... It was sweet. The lake was frozen so we went to check it out. No mom we didn't go play on it despite my inner Jared Walton telling me to. 

- another awesome dinner at a members house, they had 007 on the N64 but I couldn't justify how takin down tangos old school style would fulfill my missionary purpose so I had to refuse some serious temptation to play it. #AchievementUnlocked

- These roads out here.... Straight and flat... Gotta be careful after my last incident in Bozeman but tough to not go fast especially when you are jamming to David Archuleta MoTab Christmas album. Can't wait to bring the panther up here. #IWannaGoFast 

- Theres a loud siren that goes off at 9 every night. 

- Decorated the tree at the library for the Christmas piano recital which ROCKED!!!

- furnace stopped working so we had to call up the former elders to figure out how to relight it. Felt like we were diffusing a bomb in the final minutes of 24. #DangItChloe 

- lady at Wendy's somehow thought our names were Asburg and Pete... Did some role plays for training and I was Skittle and my comp was Guadeloupe. After further review we now refer to each other as "Guadeloupe Asburg" and "Skittle Pete". Elder Asbury is a stud. Have loved training him these past few weeks and look forward to the next 4.  

- Found my new favorite street. I did say in my farewell talk that Montana is Ron Swanson territory.  

- taught a mission prep class to the priests, did my best to be as awesome as Mike and Hilary. 

- couldn't help but think "ding fries are done" during the second to last song of the Christmas devotional. 

- Brown Christmas Party looked awesome. Props to Ally for photo bombing most the pics. 

- s/o to @yokester74 for partying it up in the Magic Kingdom with @pettbryan. Can't wait to meet ya one day. Miss that mouse like crazy. Heard about the Disney dating site and I'm down. I'll attach a link to the Disney video on my profile. (JK mom)

- Last, happy birthday to my amazing sister Abby and stud brother Kasey. Love you so much Abby, thanks for wishing for me 20 years ago. Especially grateful you wished for a brother cause 1. Being a girl sounds way too hard and 2. 18 months isn't long enough to serve. Love you, and thanks for giving me a stud brother and hilarious niece. As for the CO, thanks for being an awesome example to me whether it's on Nuketown, Backyard Badminton, or Missionary Work. Love ya bro, you look good bald. 

 Well I was hitting the book of Alma hard this past week. Gosh there's some good stuff in there. Quick run down on some things I caught.... 

 - Alma 10: 4 Amulek goes full Ron Burgundy.... 4 And behold, I am also a man of no small reputation among all those who know me; yea, and behold, I have many (leather bound books) kindreds and friends, I have also acquired much riches by the hand of my industry (and my apartment smells of rich mahogany)

- Chapter 11 he straight up roasts Zeezrom in front of most of Ammonihah and calls him out as a child of hell. (Still remember getting a snapchat from @teambetaalpha senior year of that verse <3) 

- Chapter 14 they are cast into prison. After showing continued faith and patience, Verse 29 they "Tony Stark" it and bust outta there. "and when they saw Alma and Amulek coming forth out of the prison, and the walls thereof had fallen to the earth, they were struck with great fear".
 
- Alma 16 we start to see some slight contention in the land, no worries though, Alma prays to God for the perfect battle plan and they take down the Lamanites. We are told to steer far away from politics but I gotta say I wouldn't mind having a president who prays to God before making military decisions. Worked pretty well for Alma. 

- Chapter 17.... Is just pure excellence. Ammon is the Jack Bauer/JamesBond/Optimus Prime/ @TeamBetaAlpha/ dad from taken of Book of Mormon times. Love that chapter, and not just because the dude is cutting off arms and racking up the care package and RC XD kill streak. So many hidden hints towards leadership. 

-  Verse 11 - "Your patience when you have nothing & your attitude when you have everything"

- Verse 29 "you make your own fate" 

- Ch. 18, 9-10 "never stop serving"

- Verse 12  "Stick to the Task"

- Verse 17 "humility" 

- and so much more. Sweet chapter on leadership and one that I needed ... One more Ron Burgundy reference, after the servants bring all the arms Ammon cut off to the king... "He was astonished exceedingly" = "I'm not even mad... That's amazing" 

- Last, chapter 20 we learn of Lamoni who is the greatest recent convert in the Book of Mormon. Wrote  "Robison's, Oscar, Sister Fife,'Bro BooYa" in the margin of that one.

Book of Mormon is sweet, not sure how many people compare it to Tony Stark or Ron Burgundy but I love it! Along with the @MPett3 spark notes of the first bit of Alma I also want to share a quote from president Ezra Taft Benson in 1988. 

"We are commanded by God to take this gospel to all the world. That is the cause that must unite us today. Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family”

- Save the world from its own self destruction 

- Unite men of all races and nationalities in peace 

- Bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family

Look at the world around us, safe to say we are struggling in those 3 areas. A prophet of God has promised us that the gospel is the only way for these statements to come true. ONLY the gospel can fix it. We have been called to preach this gospel. Makes you realize how important this work is. Constantly search for opportunities to share this gospel with those around you. It's selfish of us not to. What better time to share the gospel than during this wonderful season too???? 

Yep, good week. People in Conrad are pretty set in their ways but we are working hard. Work is a little slow, but it's gonna pick up. Someone we have been teaching had a 2 year old daughter who was sick and we were able to give her a blessing and that was awesome, love giving blessings. You could tell he wants to be able to do that some day. Priesthood is real and it is powerful, so grateful that I am able to use it. Also have a young family we found last week and have started teaching and they are awesome. The dad is the town butcher and we offered to do service for him but later found out we aren't allowed. Church doesnt trust us with sharp objects and that's probably good. Was gonna send a pic of me wearing an apron covered in elk blood but once again my inner Jared Walton was countered with a ... "McKay.... no" in my mind from my mother. 

Love ya guys, 3 weeks I'll have another best friend and I'm pumped!!! Pop him out before Christmas please Lala. It's a special time of year. Get on your knees and tell God how grateful you really are, so grateful for my family. Something I have been doing lately is testifying to God. We testify so much as missionaries... Heck, Elder Christensen testified the Book of Mormon to me in his sleep!!! #AchievementUnlocked, but how often do we testify to God??? Tell him what you know, and what you want to know. He's there for us. 

Love ya,
 
- Elder K

- holy war in sin city.... Can only imagine how toxic that's gonna get!!! Wish I could make a vid for this one... So many ideas...  Make Em Quit UBoyz
 



No comments:

Post a Comment