Tuesday, August 4, 2015

40 Degrees & a Dog Named Stella - August 3, 2015


Highlights or random things that happened this week!

- Dropped to 40 degrees one night... meaning our trailer was about...40 degrees! .... UA infrared is amazing! Was not expecting to need it in July... but #WelcomeToMontana. Mountains already have snow! Shout out to @pettbryan for prepping me for this experience considering he doesn't turn on the heater in the winter, I feel right at home!

- We got a Little Caesar’s pizza, the owner is a member so he hooked us up!!! It was not the same without @TeamBetaAlpha but still good! It was weird saying a blessing on a crazy style...

- I got a giant box of "green" food from my mom. Elder Jaques said "give it 8 months and she'll lose interest".... Bro, there's a freakin Fat Head of me in our living room, I don't think my mom will lose interest.

- Met the coolest dog ever (actually meet a lot of awesome dogs. They seem viscous but are super friendly!!!) Her name is Stella, we are practically best friends! Check the pics! Her owner is hard Catholic but is taking us to hike the "M" today. Pretty stoked, awesome guy! It looks like a sweeeeeet hike! Unfortunately you will all have to wait until next Monday to see the pics!!

- I spent an entire day walking around while missing a belt loop. It was a side one too, not sure how I missed it! This is what happens when you don't have a mother with you and you only have 6 minutes to get ready. I told an old lady at Walmart that it's the trend now days, she laughed! I decided to just keep it the way it was because a-too lazy to change it and b-A lot of people came up to tell me... which led to talking! Sometimes you just got to swallow your pride and look like an idiot to meet investigators!

- Ate dinner with an awesome member named brother King. Reminds me so much of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons! Awesome guy, has some crazy stories! Served in Berlin so he and I spoke a little German, he said I sound like a true German! Great guy and a big Aggies fan (hates BYU). I told him to watch the game for me on September 12 (I think that's when it is)!

- I met a dude while tracting with Elder Haskins (exchanges). I asked if he liked football... He said "nah.. I like a real sport"... He then showed me these medieval weapons he has!!!! Cross bows, spears, swords, U NAME IT! He's in some competition thing where he and his buddies travel around and beat the crap out of each other! None of that scripted stuff and not for the publics entertainment either, just some old fashioned medieval battles! He has some gnarly battle wounds too. This guy was awesome, got a return appointment set but unfortunately I'll be back in Belgrade when that happens. Hopefully he gets going with the church so I can duel it out with him in the Celestial Kingdom.

- The exchange I did was in Bozeman and it’s starting to feel like football season over there! I talked to some people about the upcoming season. Told them my dad is already wearing Bobcat gear - good work mom, they liked that. Downtown Bozeman is like Fargo, North Dakota where game day went last year, loved it! It's almost here!!! Saturday I was singing "we're coming to your city" in the shower. Didn't even fully realize it was Saturday till a couple times through the big rich rap solo!!

(If it's not a Sunday or Monday than all the days mesh into one out here!)

-- Even if I can't watch games I'm still pumped, honestly the greatest time of the year! Heart starts beating a little faster every Thursday around 6:00! Good luck to Ute Nation as fall camp gets going this week. Hopefully Twitter doesn't get too nuclear about the qb battle.... Actually go ahead and get nuclear! I'll watch for the mushroom cloud!

-- also heard there was another #AskCoachWhitt type thing going on and someone said to tweet coach if I can write his daughter. I was laughing pretty hard when I read that from my dad! Good work Twitter!

- I had access to a washer but not a dryer... meaning we had to get creative with finding places to hang our stuff... check the pictures.

- While tracting I saw a huge US map on an RV so I went to look at it, took up most of one side. They had pictures in each state they had visited, really cool!

-- We tracted a house where there was an inactive  lady who drives race cars in the weekly tournaments (Maybe one day we can do some tracting at one of those things, THEY SOUND SWEET! you can hear the cars racing even from the trailer, which is in the middle of nowhere!) She opened the garage to show me a gorgeous blue - green - purple Camaro.

- THE CHURCH ROCKS! Members are awesome out here. We talked to a girl who was visiting and just graduated from Texas A&M and she knew football. DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL. No offense Big Sky Conference but you aren't the same. Felt good talking football even if it was the SEC, I told her I #BackThePac but wouldn't feel bad if they beat the crap out of Todd Graham in week 1.

All and all it was a pretty rockin week! I love Elder Jaques and I am grateful for how much he has helped me grow. Can’t imagine how it would be to be a companion with Elder Mann, the other Elder Mann, Elder Walton, Elder Lightfoot, and Elder Wall, and so on. I miss those guys.

Also got to go on an exchange! I was with Elder Haskins in Bozeman 1!  Freakin love him. Pretty shy, quiet, humble dude, but his testimony rocks. He's been out six months longer than me. He let me drive. I really tried to help him to boost his confidence and I think I did! It was so much fun with him. We even prayed that we'd have fun before tracting and boy we did! Didn't necessarily get a lot of boxes checked off on the iPad, but we made a lot of good friends (like medieval battle man) and planted some solid seeds! It was great, my testimony certainly grew that day.  I even introduced Elder Haskins to Famous Daves!!! SOOOO good.

That was an awesome day. Ok fun story. We tracted in a trailer park for at least 4 hours, fun experience! Met this sweet Hispanic lady in her front yard and asked if she'd like to hear a message about Jesus Christ. Not only did she say yes, she invited us inside too! So we walk in and Elder Haskins and I notice the picture of Jesus on the wall.... We both grinned a little. In my mind I'm thinking, “WE GOT THIS”! My soul started doing Tiger Woods fist pumps. She has been prepared to hear this message, Heavenly Father has stuck the tee in the ground, put the golf ball on, and handed my comp and I a driver. We taught a restoration lesson and mainly focused on Christ and his love for us, it was GOING REALLY WELL! Then she throws a curve ball at us....

Says that she hopes to see us in church on Sunday... She's a member!!!! She's a part of a Hispanic ward so her records didn't pull up on our iPads. Haha I was bummed, good thing I didn't ask her to commit to baptism! It was still a good experience, got some good practice. Awesome family! She didn't speak much English so I was doing my best to be like my boys/sisters serving south... I'll stick to English! Like I said, lots of fun tracting. Had some other really cool spiritual experiences but I can't share them all. I genuinely felt like I helped people that day, including elder Haskins. It was fun!

We got back to the apartment, did our planning, and ran down to eat some ice cream with Elder Okerlund and Elder Rose from the next door apartment... Really great guys! We joked around and told stories. That's the type of day I want to have as a missionary, work hard, help others, have some fun!!! This day taught me how grateful I am for Elder Jaques and what he has taught me. He has a strong desire to be the best missionary possible.

Well, I still see a lot of cows and I still think about my family a lot. Not much has changed since last week in that regard! As we drive to the middle of nowhere each night I watch the sunset, and I know that my family is seeing that same sunset too, just mine is much, MUCH better and is in a much Bigger Sky! I miss them, but I know they're alright...

"Your family is well, they are in MINE HANDS, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power”. …”Therefore, continue your journey and let your heart rejoice; for behold, and lo, I am with you even unto the end"

There's a picture of Z and I holding hands on our way to play in Toon Town, I keep it in D&C Section 100 along with those 2 scriptures highlighted. I miss them a lot, I really love my family if you haven't noticed yet, but I know that for the next two years they are in the Lords hands and He is leading them to someplace far better than Toon Town. It still feels like I see them everywhere I look, but they're my motivation for being out here so maybe that's a good thing. They are why I serve. Only a few things fire me up more than getting a pic of Z wearing a future missionary pin.

Thanks for all the emails! Remember, I can check them throughout the week which is awesome, I just can't respond until Monday but know I think about you all every day! Thanks everyone!

Cya later!

- K
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment